Thursday, October 27, 2011

More Story On West Papua

I  continued searching for more information regarding West Papuans struggle for independence. It was painful story how the tribal people there been treated. If this heartrending stories proved to be true as  it claimed then the world must not silence. In this modern era this kind of tyranny should not exist anymore. All people had their rights regardless their colour, race, religious and civilization level.

Below some excerpt from the two websites;

Written By William Lloyd-George

As I stand next to a lively fruit market on my first day in West Papua’s biggest city, Jayapura, a local rushes across the road to greet me. He’s smartly dressed, as is his son whose hand he holds. “Hello, where are you from?” he says, wiping sweat from his forehead. Before I can answer he moves closer and whispers in perfect English. “I have no job and no future. The Indonesians have taken everything from us. I hope you can tell the world.” Without any further conversation, he thanks me for my time and disappears into the crowd. It’s a sentiment echoed throughout resource-rich West Papua, the last frontier of Indonesia – from the highland rainforests to the vast white coast and shabby streets of Jayapura.

General Richard Yoweni, commander of the TPN, at a hidden base in the jungle.

A TPN rebel at base camp in the jungle of West Papua.

A local stands with his map

Police arrest attendees of the Third Papuan People Congress in Abepura. Photo: Reuters


My name is Benny Wenda, I am a West Papuan independence leader and chairman of the Koteka Tribal Assembly. My village was bombed by Indonesia when I was a child and many of my family were killed. Later, I began to campaign peacefully to free my people. For this 'crime' I was arrested, tortured and threatened with death.

I managed to escape to Britain, where I now live in exile. Many of my people are still suffering. They have been killed, raped and tortured. Life is hard for them. All we are asking for is the freedoms that you enjoy every day - the freedom to speak your mind, to live without fear and to choose your own government.






No comments: