Friday, September 30, 2011

From Paul Scholes - My Story

This was  from United great Paul Scholes who wrote his story in his book called My Story. Below was taken from the The Sun UK that last week told story regarding his family. In this second part he told more interesting stories. I was captivated by the stories and decided to put all here. Enjoy...


PAUL SCHOLES is an all-time great England footballer and, in an era of high-profile players, he has remained fiercely private.

Now, having retired from the game last season, the 36-year-old Manchester United and Three Lions legend has given fans a glimpse into his world through his frank book Scholes: My Story.
In Day Two of The Sun's exclusive serialisation, Paul reveals his thoughts on a string of subjects, from Sir Alex Ferguson's penalty taking to his own tenacious tackling.


On Sir Alex Ferguson

I'M not quite so scared of Sir Alex now as when I was a boy of 12.
Don't get me wrong, there's still an element of fear, but back in my school days it could be a terrifying experience to see him coming down the corridor towards you.
Given his reputation, he was someone I definitely tried to avoid! But then you grow up and you understand why he does what he does.

Occasionally he'll ask the opinion of the senior players, though not too often. Usually it will be to do with the mood of the camp, perhaps if we've had some bad results.

If you've got any problem, on or off the pitch, Sir Alex is the man to see. He's really sympathetic if there are family issues and he'll always give you time to sort them out.
If you want to learn how to handle the Press, there's no better teacher than Sir Alex Ferguson.
When I've been waiting with him ahead of a conference, it's been clear that he relishes the cut and thrust.
You sit back and witness the master at work. It doesn't matter what the issues are, he's always in control. Of course, he's in control of the entire club, has been for years, and you might say he's the ultimate control freak. Whatever he says goes.
A few years ago he used to join in training, often by playing in our boxes exercise — one-touch stuff with eight players passing and two defending. If you lose the ball, you take the place of one of the defenders.
The trouble was the manager refused to go in, always making out it was somebody else's fault.
To be fair, you could see he had a nice left foot and he loved taking penalties.
Nobody could ever save them — or perhaps I should say nobody dared to save them!

On England

I retired from internationals because I was missing my wife and children.
I have to confess I didn't enjoy the World Cup tournament in Japan in 2002. It personified all I don't like about international football — too much travelling, staying in a hotel an hour from the airport, flying here, there and everywhere for each game.
The egos have landed ... England team at the World Cup in Japan in 2002
Having such young children and being away from home for six weeks was no good for me. Some lads can cope, but I struggled with it.
As a result my form and overall contribution were not up to scratch.
A secondary factor in my disenchantment with the England set-up was the selfish attitude of some other players. There were too many individuals there for personal glory.
I felt they didn't care enough about England, that they were using the national team as a way to be noticed. I found that very frustrating.

On growing up

I was always football daft. When I went to junior school, I would leave home half an hour early in the mornings and spend the time before the bell kicking the ball around the schoolyard.
Occasionally some mates would be involved but often I was on my own and that didn't bother me. I was happy as long as I had that ball.
On Sundays we'd play at the local field for three or four hours, then I'd go annoy the neighbours by kicking the ball against their fence.

On Eric Cantona

Everybody is aware of the inspiration he provided on the pitch but maybe it's not so widely appreciated that he was always a brilliant bloke, too.
In those days there used to be a players' pool of cash for various commercial endorsements and when it was divided we'd all get a cheque for the same amount.
Generous spirit ... Eric Cantona had a great influence on the young Paul Scholes

On one occasion, when we were due to receive £1,500 each, it was decided that all the chequeswould go into a hat, then whoever's name was drawn out would get the lot.
Now, £1,500 wasn't much to the older lads, but to the likes of Nicky Butt and me it was a load of cash, so really it was pretty stupid of us to take part in the lottery. When the Frenchman won the pot, everybody was calling him "Golden Bollocks".
But then Eric shut everybody up by just handing the money to Nicky and me, saying that we deserved it for having the balls to take the risk.

So the pair of us went home very happy boys, all thanks to the generous Monsieur Cantona.

On the pitch there were still times I was having to pinch myself to believe that I really was a team-mate of this great footballer.

On his footballing diet

I recall one youth team trip to Switzerland with Brian Kidd and Nobby Stiles in charge when they were eating spaghetti bolognese and I didn't even know what it was. Honestly, I'd never even heard of it. It was a case of: "Where's my sausage and chips?"
Later I realised I might have to change things when we discovered that I suffered from mild asthma, the theory being that my weight might have contributed to the condition.

On David Beckham

Becks was always amazing with his hairdos. It seemed like there was something new every week. It kept me entertained as I never knew what fantastic creation was coming next.
The special moment was always the "big reveal" when the hat came off.
It was like the curtains opening on a work of art. Did the other lads take the mick? Probably the first couple of times, but then we got used to it.
We all have different lifestyles, we all do different things when we go home. But so what?
Genuine character ... Paul Scholes has great respect for his friend and former England colleague David Beckham



Becks loves the game and always gives his all. During his time at United, nothing was too much trouble, no effort too great.
On the pitch he would always work on after training and in matches he was always available to receive the ball, his crosses were sublime and his work-rate was phenomenal.
Whenever we meet now he'll ask about my kids and family.
Genuine — that's the word that really sums up David Beckham.

On his tackling

Sir Alex, pretty well every time I went out, told me to watch my tackling, but he knew I had to make challenges as a central midfielder. It was very disappointing when I made one awkward tackle and got booked for it, as happened so frequently.
As the years went by, it felt as if some referees were less and less tolerant towards me, opting for an early booking rather than giving me a couple of chances.
But I never set out to hurt anyone.


What the stars say about Paul Scholes
Here, some of soccer's biggest names give their verdicts on Paul:
SIR ALEX FERGUSON: When he started to play you could see exceptional ability – but he was so tiny. One day I turned to my assistant, Jim Ryan, and said: "He's got no chance, he's a midget." That's become a standing joke. Jim never lets me forget that early assessment and I have to hold my hands up.
There's also wicked humour about Scholesy. For instance, it was never wise to go for a pee anywhere near the side of the training pitch when he was about.
I can remember Gary Neville doing just that, trotting a good 40 yards away and facing a fence.
There he was, doing his business, when suddenly – whack – Scholesy's hit him on the back of the head with a sweet right footer. He was that accurate.
Paul is one in a million and I was left to reflect on how mightily privileged United have been that he graced our team.
BOBBY CHARLTON: Let me make a little confession. In my position as a director of Manchester United, I know I shouldn't have favourites, but I must admit it – Paul Scholes is my favourite.
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for a long time now he has been my footballing hero.
Even in the last months leading up to his retirement, Paul was a master, a sensational performer, one of the finest in the world.
He always possessed that indefinable, special ingredient that goes into the making of a star.
Yet through all the years, with all the success he has enjoyed, he has remained the same lovely, unassuming individual.
NICKY BUTT: Once at the training ground he was so naughty that some first-team players put him in the tumble-dryer.
I can't recall exactly what he'd done, but I'm sure he deserved it!
STEVE BRUCE: We always wanted to make life as comfortable as we could for the young lads and banter was a sure way of doing that.
Another was by using a big, industrial tumble dryer at the training ground, into which misbehaving youngsters had to be introduced occasionally.
It might even have been switched on once or twice, but I'm not owning up to pressing the button. There are laws against that sort of thing.
WAYNE ROONEY: For me, Scholesy's the best footballer England has produced in my time. The way he controlled games, passed the ball, saw things others didn't see. It was such a pleasure to play with him.
GLENN HODDLE: Scholes was the jewel in the crown, the first name on the team sheet and unquestionably one of the finest England players of the age.
KEVIN KEEGAN: I'd give him ten out of ten for everything except his tackling and as a person I'd give him 11 out of ten, because he's a special lad.
SVEN GORAN ERIKSSON: If you gave me Paul Scholes and ten others, I would be happy. I would tell them to give him the ball and then we would have a good team.

No comments: