Thursday, April 15, 2010

English League Soccer



I really love EPL or old days called English Football. As far as I remember RTM sometimes aired live telecast from England. If not I will glue in front of the television to watch the highlights and news. I still remember the program called English League Soccer if I not mistaken. It would start like this, a visual of man at his desk saying “Hi, I’m Martin Tyler, welcome to English League Soccer.” Then came out very simple graphic of a ball then followed two legs making impression like fighting for the ball. From there I learned a lot of English Football.

During my kid times Liverpool ruled the league and also Europe. Every time we played or talked about football, Liverpool and its player like Dalglish, Grobbelaar or Rush definitely dominating the scenarios. It gradually made me dislike Liverpool. Anywhere people talked about Liverpool. We had footballer cards during that time for collections, maybe almost the same with baseball cards in US, Liverpool cards were the hottest.

So one night, I believe early morning during fasting month, I suddenly woke up. I heard television was on. While lights in the kitchen also on. I walked to the living rooms and I saw my late father was watching live telecast football match. I just stood behind him unnoticed for few minutes. Then without any intention I asked him “ sapa lawan abah?” My father quickly turned his head. I was so afraid because my late father was very fierce and stern. But to my relief he said Manchester United. I can’t remember against which team. But I believed it was Brighton. Then slowly with bolster at my chest I sit on the floor beside my father who was sitting on a chair. I’m not his favorite son but to be next to him watching football at wee hours was the moment I cherished.

From there on I declared myself as United’s fan. Just to be different from others. I started collecting United cards. Got to know the players like Viv Anderson, Norman Whiteside, Gary Bailey and my favorite Bryan ‘Robbo’ Robson. Then finally love this team.

Robbo

No comments: